Pork and lemon meatballs with cannellini beans
By Silvana FrancoTakes 15 minutes to make, 15 minutes to cook The cannellini beans in this dish make it into a quick one-pot-wonder.
- 500g pork mince
- 50g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Zest and juice of ½ lemon, plus wedges to serve
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 medium free-range egg, beaten
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 2 x 400g cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 300ml chicken stock, hot
- Pinch of saffron strands
- Handful of fresh basil leaves
- For the meatballs, mix the pork mince with the breadcrumbs, shallot, garlic, lemon zest and fennel seeds in a large bowl with just enough egg to bind. Season well, then shape into 20 walnut-size meatballs.
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan, add the meatballs and fry over a medium heat, turning regularly, for 3-4 minutes until nicely browned on all sides. Add the tomatoes and simmer for a couple of minutes until softened and pulpy.
- Stir in the cannellini beans, hot stock and saffron, then simmer for 10 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through. Season and add lemon juice to taste. Toss with the basil leaves, then ladle into bowls and serve with lemon wedges.
PER SERVING 548kcals, 18.2g fat (5.2g saturated), 49g protein, 40.7g carbs, 2.2g sugar, 0.5g salt, 12.8g fibre