Cheddar, cauliflower and leek gratin
By Lucy WilliamsTakes 10 minutes to make, 35 minutes to cook. This cauliflower gratin takes only 10 minutes to make and provides the perfect accompaniment to roast beef.
- 30g butter
- 30g plain flour
- 400ml whole milk
- 3 tbsp double cream
- 100g mature Cheddar, grated
- 1 leek, cut into chunks
- Medium head of cauliflower, broken into equal-size florets
- Few thyme sprigs, leaves picked
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Melt the butter in a wide-bottomed saucepan. When it foams, add the flour and stir for a minute. Gradually add the milk, stirring, until you have a smooth sauce. Bubble for 2 minutes, then remove from the heat and stir through the cream and cheese. Season.
- Meanwhile cook the leek and cauliflower in a pan of boiling salted water for 4-5 minutes until just tender. Drain well.
- Spoon the leek and cauliflower into a serving dish, pour over the cheese sauce, mix and scatter with thyme. Bake for 30 minutes until bubbling and golden.
PER SERVING Per serving: 352kcals, 25.9g fat (15.8g saturated), 15.4g protein, 14g carbs (8.1g sugars), 0.7g salt, 4g fibre
Choose a Châteauneuf-du-Pape, or for excellent value, Côtes du Rhône-Villages