Lemon & Poppy Seed Baroque Cake
Stunning in it's simplicity, our baroque bake is a deliciously light lemon and poppy seed sponge
- 350g butter, softened, plus extra to grease
- 350g caster sugar
- 350g self-raising flour, sieved
- 6 eggs
- Zest of 4 lemons, juice of 2
- 80g black poppy seeds
for the decoration
- 25g icing sugar, to dust
- Handful fresh berries
- A few leaves mint
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F and grease the mould.
- Combine all the cake ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the mould and level the top with a spatula, bake for approx. 55 minutes until the centre of the cake is set and a skewer inserted in comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes then carefully remove from the mould and leave to cool completely on a wire cooling rack.
- Dust the top with the icing sugar and use a damp, soft brush to draw over the raised detail of the cake so the icing sugar dissolves away to leave the pattern clear. Transfer to a plate and serve topped with the fresh berries and mint leaves.