Chilli con Carne
From our Slow Cooking book
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large brown onion (200g), chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 750g minced beef
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 1 ½ tsp dried chilli flakes
- 250ml beef stock
- tomato paste
- 820g canned tomatoes, crushed
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh oregano
- 800g canned kidney beans, rinsed, drained
- 6 tbsp fresh coriander leaves
- 6 flour tortillas, warmed
- Heat oil in a large frying pan; cook onion and garlic, stirring, until onion softens. Add beef, cumin and chilli; cook stirring until browned. Transfer to 4.5 litre slow cooker. Stir in stock, paste, undrained tomatoes and oregano. Cook, covered on low, 8 hours.
- Add beans; cook, covered on high, about 30 minutes or until hot. Season to taste.
- Sprinkle chilli con carne with coriander, serve with tortillas and a dollop of soured cream.