Chickpea and Vegetable Tagine
From our Lakeland Tagines book
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large brown onions, thickly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- Pinch ground saffron
- 2 small red chillies, coarsely chopped
- 2 baby aubergines, coarsely chopped
- 800g peeled pumpkin or butternut squash, coarsely chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 250ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 500ml water
- 200g tin chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 large courgettes, coarsely chopped
- 6 tbsp fresh coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Heat the oil in a large deep frying pan, add the onion and garlic and stir as it cooks until the onion softens. Add the spices, chilli and aubergine and cook, stirring, until the aubergine begins to turn brown.
- Add the pumpkin, tomatoes, stock, water and chickpeas and bring to the boil. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the courgettes, cover and simmer for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the coriander and lemon juice and serve with couscous. .