Poached Chicken with Soy & Sesame
From our Lakeland More Slow Cooking book
- 1.6kg whole chicken
- 5cm piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled & halved
- 2 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 250ml light soy sauce
- 250ml rice wine or dry sherry
- 75g granulated sugar
- 1 litre water
- 80ml light soy sauce, to drizzle
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 cloves garlic, cut into matchsticks
- 2.5cm piece fresh ginger, cut into matchsticks
- 2 fresh long red chillies, deseeded & thinly sliced
- 80ml groundnut oil
- 4 spring onions, trimmed & thinly sliced
- Trim the excess fat then place the chicken in a 4.5 litre slow cooker with the sliced ginger, halved garlic, star anise, cinnamon sticks, soy sauce, wine or sherry, sugar and water. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours then discard the poaching liquid.
- Cut the chicken into 12 pieces and place on a heatproof platter. Drizzle over the extra soy sauce and sesame oil then sprinkle on the garlic and ginger matchsticks and sliced chilli.
- Heat the groundnut oil over a medium heat until very hot and carefully drizzle over the chicken. Garnish with the spring onion.
Tip: If you don’t have a slow cooker, you can use a large saucepan over a low heat.
You may find these helpful...
- Typhoon® Non-Stick Signature Wok
- Save: £6.00 Now £14.99