From our Lakeland Cupcakes and Cookies Book
- 110g caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 150g plain flour
- 2 tbsp caster sugar, to sprinkle
- 400g good quality dark chocolate
- 3 slices glacé orange, cut into 25 wedges
- 250ml orange juice
- 2 tbsp orange marmalade
- 85g packet orange jelly crystals
- Combine the orange juice and marmalade in a small saucepan, bring to the boil then remove from the heat. Add the jelly crystals, stir until dissolved and allow to cool.
- Line a 23cm square deep cake pan with baking parchment, extending the parchment above the edges, pour in jelly and place in the fridge to set.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Fit a large piping bag with a plain 1cm nozzle. Grease two oven trays then line with baking parchment.
- Evenly spread the 110g sugar in a shallow oven tray and heat in the oven until it is hot to the touch. Using an electric mixer, beat the eggs in a small bowl for about 1 minute, add the hot sugar and continue to beat for about 10 minutes or until the mixture is thick enough to hold its shape.
- Sift the flour three times. Transfer the egg mix to a large bowl and fold in the sifted flour. Pipe 25 x 4cm rounds onto the oven trays, leaving about 3cm between each.
- Sprinkle each round evenly with the 2 tbsp sugar and bake, one tray at a time, for about 4 minutes. Cool on the trays.
- Lift the jelly onto a board and cut out 25 rounds using a 4cm cutter. Top each sponge with a jelly round and place on a wire rack over a tray.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water (do not let the base of the bowl touch the water). Using a tablespoon to drizzle the chocolate, coat the sponge and jelly rounds and allow to cool. When almost set, top each with a wedge of glacé orange.