Hearty Mushroom Soup
Perfect during the colder months
- 25g dried porcini mushrooms
- 250ml boiling water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- Salt and pepper
- 500g fresh mushrooms, any variety, roughly chopped
- 1.2 litre vegetable stock
- 5 tbsp marsala or dry sherry
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 100g tinned haricot beans, drained and rinsed
- Put the porcini mushrooms in a bowl with the boiling water, soak for 25 minutes.
- Set a large pan over a medium heat; heat the oil, add the onion, carrot, garlic, rosemary and seasoning. Fry for 5 minutes until soft.
- Drain the porcini mushrooms, reserving the liquid, and finely chop. Add the porcini mushrooms and fresh mushrooms to the pan and fry for another 5 minutes.
- Add the stock, marsala or sherry, tomato purée, haricot beans and reserved porcini mushroom liquid. Cook for 30 minutes, adding extra stock if the soup becomes too thick.