Spicy Lentil Soup
We made this in a slow cooker, but it could also be made in a large pan.
- 100g dried red lentils
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 100g mild curry paste
- 2 small carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 140g Greek yoghurt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander
- Rinse the lentils under cold water until the water runs clear; drain.
- Combine the lentils, stock, tomatoes, bay leaves, garlic, curry paste, carrot, celery and potato in a 4.5 litre slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours. Season to taste.
- Divide into bowls. Top with the Greek yogurt and sprinkle with the black pepper and coriander.
For a vegetarian option, use vegetable stock instead of chicken.