Mini Ginger Cakes
Made in 2 x the My Kitchen 12 Cup Loose-Based Mini Sandwich Tin
- 175g butter
- 175g soft brown sugar
- 175g golden syrup
- 200ml milk
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 325g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 6 tbsp butter, softened
- 250g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp finely grated orange zest
- to decorate, orange zest
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/300°F.
- Make the cakes. Place the butter, sugar and syrup in a pan, place on a low heat and stir until the sugar is melted and the ingredients have combined. Remove from the heat, add the milk, stirring until combined, then add the eggs and mix again.
- Fold the flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda, and divide equally between the 24 holes – each should be around half full. Bake for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven, cool in the tins for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Make the buttercream. Cream the butter until smooth, gradually beat in the icing sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the orange juice a little at a time until the mixture is spreadable.
- To decorate. Cut each cake in half, spread the bottom half with buttercream; put the top half of the cake on, spread with buttercream and sprinkle with orange zest.