- 20g butter, plus extra for muffins
- 500g spinach
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 English muffins
- A few chives
- Mary Berry Hollandaise Sauce (or try our recipe below)
- 250g unsalted butter
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tsp cold water
- ½ a lemon
Hollandaise Sauce (optional)
- Coat the inside of the poachpods with a little oil, crack in an egg, float in a pan of simmering water and pop on the pan lid. Cook the eggs until they are done to your liking.
- Meanwhile, melt the 20g of butter in a pan, add the spinach and cook, stirring until just wilted. Season with the nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Toast the muffins and lightly butter, arrange on 4 large plates, top with the spinach, poached eggs and Mary Berry Hollandaise Sauce, or try our optional recipe. Finish with a little black pepper and some chopped chives.
- Melt the butter on a low heat. It will separate to make a layer of clear golden fat (clarified butter) on top. Use a ladle to remove the clarified butter, and keep it in a warm place. Discard the milky residue left in the pan.
- Put the egg yolks in a stainless-steel bowl with the vinegar, salt and 2 teaspoons of cold water and whisk together.
- Set the bowl over a pan of simmering water and continue whisking until the mixture is pale, thick and fluffy.
- Remove from the pan of simmering water and slowly whisk in the clarified butter. Squeeze in the lemon juice, season and serve as soon as possible.
method for optional Hollandaise recipe