Orange Almond Cake
This cake keeps really well and can be made a day before you ice it. Just store in an airtight box until ready to serve.
- 225g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 275g caster sugar
- 2 oranges, grated zest of both, and juice of 1
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp orange blossom water
- 150g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 200g ground almonds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- Pinch of salt
for the Orange Icing
- Juice from 1 large orange
- 150-200g icing sugar
- 50g toasted, flaked almonds
- Preheat your oven to 170°C/325°F/Gas mark 3
- Cream together the butter and caster sugar until pale and light, this will take about 3-4 minutes in a free-standing mixer. Gradually add the beaten eggs, scraping down the bowl from time to time.
- Add the orange zest, orange juice, lemon juice and orange blossom water. Tip the flour, ground almonds, baking powder and salt into the bowl and beat for another 30-40 seconds to thoroughly combine.
- Spoon the batter into the tin, level with a palette knife and bake just below the middle shelf of your preheated oven for about 40-45 minutes until golden brown, well risen and a wooden skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool in the tin for no more than 2 minutes, then carefully turn the cake out onto a wire cooling rack and leave until cold.
- Meanwhile prepare the orange icing. Strain the orange juice into a bowl and add enough icing sugar until the mixture is a thick but slightly runny icing – it needs to be thick enough to coat a wooden spoon.
- Place the cold cake on a serving plate and spoon the icing over the top, allowing it to drizzle over the sides. Leave to set for 15 minutes and then scatter with toasted flaked almonds to serve.
Products you may find helpful with this recipe
- Cream KitchenAid® Artisan® Stand Mixer with Free Gift
- Save: £43.01 Now £385.99