From Lakes on a Plate episode 18: Kids
- 2tbsp icing sugar
- 1tbsp corn flour
- 9 sheets of gelatine
- 455g white sugar
- 200ml water
- 1 split vanilla pod
- 2 eggs, whites only
- 1 handful fresh raspberries or seasonal soft fruit
- Lightly oil a baking tin, about 30 x 20cm. Line with foil and then baking parchment paper and dust with icing sugar and corn flour.
- Soak the gelatine in cold water.
- Put the sugar, water and vanilla into a heavy-based pan. Bring to the boil and continue cooking for about 5 minutes, then add the softened gelatine sheets.
- The syrup will bubble up so take care not to burn yourself.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff, preferably with an electric whisk, continue whisking while pouring in the hot syrup. The mixture will become shiny and start to thicken. Carry on whisking for about 5-10 minutes, until the mixture is stiff and thick enough to hold its shape on the whisk.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and smooth with a wet palette knife if necessary.
- Leave to set for at least an hour.
- Now you've a great tray of marshmallow and this is the time the real magic starts. Place the marshmallow either into the oven or on the barbecue and let it melt, it should only take 10 minutes in the oven at 180°C or 20 minutes on the BBQ grill.
- When it has melted serve it up with the fruit on wooden kebab sticks and dip in.