Rhubarb & ginger jam
Steven Doherty, Head Chef at our First Floor Café in Windermere, has come up with this delicious jam recipe for you to try this summer.
Makes five 454g (1lb) jars
- 1.5kg (3lb) rhubarb, young and tender
- 1.5kg (3lb) sugar
- 25g (1oz) root ginger, tied in muslin
- 3 lemons
- 125g (4oz) crystallised ginger, chopped
- Trim both ends of the rhubarb stalks but do not peel.
- Cut into short pieces and layer up with the sugar in a mixing bowl. Cover and leave overnight to draw out the juice.
- The following day, put into a preserving pan with the root ginger, the grated zest and strained juice from the lemons.
- Simmer until pulpy, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Remove the root ginger, stir in the crystallised ginger and then boil until the jam thickens to a soft set.
- To obtain a stiffer set, add 250ml (½pt) of thick apple or red current juice, boil and finish as above.
- Pour into sterilised jars and seal.