Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 2 hours 30 minutes
- 1kg beef chuck steak
- 2tbsp vegetable oil
- 60g butter
- 10 baby onions (250g)
- 400g button mushrooms
- 3 bacon rashers (210g), chopped coarsely
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 35g plain flour
- 250ml beef stock
- 250ml dry red wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1tbsp brown sugar
- 3tsp finely chopped fresh oregano
- Cut beef into 3cm (1in) pieces. Heat half of the oil in a large saucepan; cook beef in batches, until browned. Remove from pan.
- Heat remaining oil and butter in a pan; cook onions, mushrooms, bacon and garlic, stirring, until onions are browned lightly. Stir in flour; stir over heat until mixture is browned.
- Remove from heat. Gradually stir in stock and wine; stir over heat until sauce boils and thickens.
- Return beef and any juices to pan; add bay leaves, sugar and oregano. Simmer, covered about 2 hours or until beef is tender, stirring occasionally. Discard bay leaves.
- Recipe can be made a day ahead and refrigerated, covered. Recipe suitable for freezing.