Blackberry & apple jam
Makes sufficient for 4 x 500ml Kilner Jars
- 1 kg blackberries
- 375g cooking apples, peeled and sliced
- 360ml water
- 1.3kg granulated sugar
- Prepare the jars by washing in soapy water and rinsing well.
- Put the blackberries and 180ml of the water in a pan, bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer until soft.
- Put the apples and the remaining water into a large pan, bring to the boil then reduce heat and simmer until soft.
- Add the sugar and blackberries to the pan of apples and cook over a low heat, stirring constantly, until the sugar has completely dissolved. Increase the heat and boil rapidly for 25 minutes, taking care not to allow the mixture to boil over.
- Reduce the heat and test by placing half a teaspoon of mixture onto a very cold saucer, let it cool and then push with your finger. If the surface crinkles it is ready. If not, boil for a further 5 minutes and test again.
- Sterilise the jars (not the lids) in boiling water, and fill with jam before they cool down. Leave 1-2cm of space at the top, and immediately place on the wax-seal disc. Position the outer metal band over the disc and tighten.
- Store in a cool, dry, dark place.
- cooking apples could be substituted with eating apples or windfall apples if you have some to use up.