Pancetta & Artichoke
Easy to prepare and carve, it's a real
treat for a crowd.
What you need (serves 8)
- 125g pancetta, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 100g grated Parmesan cheese
- 200g fresh breadcrumbs
- 100g fresh mint, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 240g tinned artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 leg of lamb, butterfly-boned (ask your butcher to prepare this for you)
- Extra-virgin olive oil, for rubbing
What you do
- Preheat the oven to 230°C/450°F.
- Mix the pancetta, garlic, Parmesan, breadcrumbs, mint, lemon juice, salt and pepper together in a food processor until combined. Add artichokes and pulse a few more times without allowing the mixture to become smooth.
- Lay the lamb flat, skin side down, then spread on the artichoke mix, leaving about 1cm around edges. Tightly roll the lamb and string-tie every 5cm along its length.
- Place in a roasting pan, rub the skin with olive oil and season well. Roast for 30 minutes, reduce the temperature to 180°C/350°F and roast for a further 75 minutes.
- Allow to rest for 20 minutes, carve and serve with mint sauce.