Chocolate & Raspberry Roulade (serves 6-8)
What you need
- 175g dark chocolate
- 175g caster sugar
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 level tbsp cocoa, sifted
- 500ml double cream
- Icing sugar, to dust
- 200g fresh raspberries, reserve 6-8 to decorate
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
What you do
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Break the chocolate into a heatproof bowl and melt over a pan of simmering water (do not let the base of the bowl touch the water). Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Place the sugar and egg yolks into a bowl and whisk until light and creamy. Add the cooled chocolate and stir until evenly blended.
- Whisk the egg whites in a large mixing bowl until stiff. Stir a large spoonful of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture; mix gently, fold in the remaining egg whites, then the cocoa.
- Turn the mixture onto the Baking Flexi-Sheet and gently level the surface. Bake for 20 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Place a sheet of baking parchment on top of the roulade, then put a damp tea towel on top of that and leave until cold.
- Whisk the cream until it just holds its shape. Remove the tea towel and parchment from the roulade. Dust a large piece of baking parchment with icing sugar and carefully turn the roulade onto it.
- Spread with the whipped cream, arrange the raspberries in lines from one end to the other and roll up like a Swiss roll, using the baking parchment to help. Don't worry if it cracks slightly, that's part of its charm!
- Place the 2 tbsp of icing sugar in a small bowl; add 1 tbsp of water at a time, mixing, until smooth and syrupy then drizzle over the roulade. Halve the reserved raspberries and place on top of the roulade. Finish with a dusting of icing sugar.
Chocolate & Raspberry Roulade
Roll up, roll up! Who could resist this rather ravishing dessert!