Beginners Sourdough Style Loaf
A super-quick sourdough starter for those that just can’t wait! by Peter Sidwell
- 1 cup strong white flour
- 1 cup wholemeal flour
- 2 cups warm water
- 7g sachet dried yeast
- Mix together the sourdough starter ingredients. Place in an airtight container and leave overnight to ferment.
- Place the flour in a large bowl then add the salt, yeast and sugar. Add 100ml of the sourdough starter. Use your hands to mix together and add the water a little at a time until a ball of dough is formed.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and easy to handle. It should take around 10 minutes.
- Return the dough to the bowl, cover and leave to prove in a warm place for 30-40 minutes until doubled in size. Place the dough back onto the fl oured surface and knead for a minute or two.
- Shape your loaf, place on a lightly fl oured tea towel and leave to prove for 30-40 minutes.
- Place a baking tray onto the bottom shelf of a 200°C/400°F oven for approx. 15 minutes then carefully transfer the dough to the hot baking tray.
- Return the baking tray to the oven. Place 100ml of cold water into an ovenproof bowl and put into the bottom of the oven – this will create steam which will help develop the crust and improve the loaf. Bake for approx. 30 minutes until golden.