Damper bread with Tzatziki
From Lakes on a plate episode 8: Barbecue
For the bread
- 250g self-raising flour, plus extra to dust
- ½ tsp salt
- 100ml blonde beer
For the Tzatziki
- 1 500g. tub thick Greek yoghurt
- ½ cucumber, peeled, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 handful fresh mint, chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- Salt & pepper
To make the bread
- place the flour and salt into a mixing bowl. Pour in the beer a little at a time until it forms a dough type texture.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured work surface, and bring the dough together. Divide into four and flatten out.
- Place each piece of dough into a pan or on the barbecue and cook on each side until golden brown.
To make the tzatziki
- scoop the yoghurt into a bowl.
- Remove the seeds from the cucumber and chop as finely as possible or grate it if you prefer. Crush the garlic and chop finely, then add to the yoghurt with the cucumber.
- Chop the mint and add into the bowl followed by the lemon juice.
- Give it a really good mix and then add a a little extra virgin olive oil, just to loosen it and give it that rich olive flavour.
- Serve with the Damper Bread.